Monday, September 15, 2014

Pumping Iron



For a little over a year, I haven't been feeling like myself
I linked it to working 3 jobs, taking care of the kids and holding the fort down
I mentioned my symptoms to my doctor in March
and asked if they tested hormone levels in the blood work they were doing
She laughed and told me I was too young to be going through menopause
I was ready to walk out and the appointment only went down hill from there

A few weeks ago I decided enough was enough 
I had my records switched to another doctor and went in for an appointment
I explained all my symptoms
Exhausted but can't sleep
Brain fog
Can't lose weight
Thinning hair

She ordered more blood work to check a few things

My iron level is a 6
{Booo!}
It's supposed to be 12.5
No wonder I feel like crap

I'll be pumping iron
LOTS of it
My doctor prescribed 325mg of iron twice a day
{my stomach hurts just thinking about it}
 I'll be rechecked in 3 months to see if my body is absorbing the iron

I'm pretty bummed about not being able to give blood
I know I need to concentrate on getting myself healthy but
giving blood is something I've become passionate about
So while the hubby will be donating blood today, I'll be moping












1 comment:

  1. At least they figured out s/t was off! Good for you for switching dr's. Sometimes you just need someone new.

    ReplyDelete