Friday, November 1, 2013

Halloween



 I can't say Halloween is one of my favorite holidays

I don't even remember liking it as a child

I hated those plastic masks
The nose holes either weren't in the right spot or they weren't big enough
and the elastic that went across the back of your head never stayed in place

The only other things I remember about Halloween as a child:
Those awful plastic costumes
We used to dress up and go see my Uncle Herb and Aunt Ruby out on the farm
and
when we trick or treated around the neighborhood, my dad would take us with his lantern
{This was a BIG deal - My dad didn't do much with us when we were growing up}

Now that I'm an adult, I like Halloween even less

I dislike the controversy over costumes {My kids always want the goriest mask}
I dislike rude people out on Halloween night {We're all out doing the same thing, why must they be rude}
I dislike my kids hyped up on sugar {Why can't people hand out pencils, glow sticks, books....}

But the kids love it
On Wednesday night as we were getting ready for bed, Parker kept saying I can't wait until tomorrow


This year we did things a little bit different

Every Halloween, we take the boys to see my Aunt Ruby at the nursing home
This year, her health is deteriorating and she doesn't know who we are
I want my boys to remember her as Aunt Ruby
I don't want her to feel anxious and upset because she doesn't know who we are
so I decided that we wouldn't visit her on Halloween this year
It breaks my heart but I think and hope we made the right decision


We trick or treated around my parents neighborhood
and made a few other pit stops at family and friends houses
The boys were spoiled as usual

I have to say..... I was very pleased with their choice of costumes this year

{Ed and Ethel}



Now we're coming down off the sugar crash


No comments:

Post a Comment