Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Give the kid a break


Last Monday Parker was seen by his allergy/asthma doc

I thought things were going well
We keep him on Zyrtec year round and we add Singular as soon as it hits 50 degrees
We noticed that Parker's eyes were starting to look a little puffy but that's nothing new for this time of year

His doctor and I discussed his meds, activities and the normal stuff and she looked him over
She noticed the puffiness right away and asked if he had anything else going on
Nope
Well.... one look in his nose and throat proved me wrong

He has severe post nasal drip which would explain the clearing of the throat all the time
{how can a boy on so much allergy medication still be having problems- I thought it was a nervous habit}
and his nose is inflamed
He's a mess and spring just got here

His doctor suggested keeping him on the same meds and trying a nasal spray again
We took him off the nasal spray two years ago because of nose bleeds

She told us that we're running out of options and allergy shots may be the only way to go

I feel like we're over medicating him yet I don't know that we're ready to commit to 5 years of shots
If the success rate was 100% or even close, I wouldn't be as hesitant

I'm struggling as a mom with what to do
Where's the parent handbook when you need one



This boy loves to be outside
Always has, always will

Being outdoors wrecks havoc on him but he's tough and takes it in stride








No comments:

Post a Comment