Tuesday, August 20, 2013

I forgot how much I hate this



We are on day 3 of school and I could already take it or leave it

Yesterday was the first "full" day of school
{Thursday and Friday they dismissed at 1:05}

Parker brought his first list of spelling words home and Oh My!
I forgot how much I hate spelling words and getting the kids to practice
We had tears and stomping
It was UGLY

We both took a break and tried again later
It went much better but I'm dreading going over them again today


Part of our problem is - Parker is lacking sleep
The boy needs sleep and he's not a morning person
It's funny that at 6 months old, I could have told you this

We went to the drive in Saturday night
and the lack of sleep has left everyone a little crabby this week

I'm thinking Parker may need an earlier bed time
The boys head to bed at 8:00, we/they read and lights are out at 8:30
I'm thinking we may have to try heading to bed at 7:45 and see how that goes

Back to spelling words:
When going over spelling words, I realize why the English language/spelling is so hard to learn

For example:
I ask Parker to spell the word - compare
I say sound it out
He spells - cumpair
Yep.... That's the way it sounds

next

I ask Parker to spell - Mr. Castle {the principal}
He writes - Mr. Casle
Again... that's the way it sounds

and one more

The word is - because
why not spell it - becuz


It's no wonder these children struggle to spell words correctly

Parker got a hundred percent in spelling last year and he worked HARD to get that perfect score
He knows he can do it but it's going to be another struggle


I'm thankful that I get to be home after school to help the boys with homework
I know they will scream and stop but some day they'll be happy I helped them

















1 comment: