Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Proud Mama



It's hard to believe the kids have already been in school long enough to have conferences


We started out at Parker's school
His teacher {Mrs. Yahn} is AMAZING!
She's the most positive and encouraging person you'll ever meet
She has already picked up on Parker's strengths and weaknesses
She has seen his love for math and his hesitation with reading
I was glad to hear that he is working with Mrs. Goddard and Mrs. G for some extra help with reading
Mrs. Yahn truly believes that we just need to find a book series he loves
{I hated reading as a child so I'm thinking he just takes after me}
Anyway, Parker has all A's and is a joy to have in class
Things don't always come easy for Parker but with a lot of hard work, things are paying off
I'm so proud of him and his accomplishments


Middle school has given me my fair share of gray hair in the last 6 weeks
I've laid awake at night worrying about Spencer in middle school
My fear of him becoming lazy and slacking off just about puts me over the edge
Conferences in middle school are a lot different than elementary school,
the teachers set up desks in the gym and parents find the teachers they want to meet with
I'm so impressed with the group of 6th grade teachers
I'd heard other people comment about the "6th grade group" and I'm seeing it
Each one of them called Spencer by name when we went to conferences
{These teachers see approximately 200 students a day}
Each one of them shook our hands and asked if we had concerns
Each teacher showed us assignments or projects that he has done in class 
They explained their grading system and what they expect from the students
Spencer has an A in every class and a 4 in his language arts class
{Language arts is now graded using the SBG grading system}
Spencer has some fabulous teachers and if I had to pick out my favorite, I'm not sure I could
All of his teachers went on and on about how much they enjoy Spencer
and  wish they had more students like him
Again, I'm worrying for no reason
The boy blew my socks off and I'm so proud of him


I only have one complaint/concern
The school district will no longer be grading spelling tests
Parker's teacher is still testing the kids but the grades will not be added to the grade book
Nothing will change at our house, we will work them just as hard as we have been



I'm not sure what we did to get so lucky

We treated the boys to a new book of their choice at the schools book fair



2 comments:

  1. What kind of things does Parker like? Mysteries? Adventure?? The Hardy Boys is an old but great series, I even read them as a kid (equivalent to Nancy Drew, who I read also). Or the Boxcar series, another of my fav's. Aiden loves Magic Tree House but not sure, they might be too easy or too young for Parker. Just a few I thought of off the top of my head, hope you find s/t he likes!

    Yay for good conferences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He just doesn't like to read! He's read the Magic Tree House books, The weird Crazy School Day books, Flat Stanley, the Nate books.... We've tried it all. He doesn't mind reading short books but hates chapter books. He loses interest and doesn't want to finish them.

    ReplyDelete